Tuesday, March 25, 2008

My Uncle My Hero

An old man with white hair opens the door, he looks hagard and tired,I can still recognised him, he has left a great impression for me,the last time I saw him it was 15 years ago, he was stunning, smart and arrogant then, but today... he looks defeated and lost, like a child who had lost his direction. His wife just passed away this morning, he tried really hard to put up a brave front, but it only makes it worst, he was once the warrior of his life time, a hero to many, but today he looks like he had lost his whole world, his arrogance has been deflated....
He once told me, go for the best, don't settle for second choice, marry someone who can provide the best for you, (Not that I do not heed his advise, but I did not get to meet such person...sob!!!) He is the one who introduced asparagus( the most expensive veg available at the time) to me, I was only 8years old then,he brought us to the best restaurant in town and ordered the best dishes, he told me then, find a man who can afford to bring you to such places, think I was not paying attention to his sentence then, and ended up marrying someone who works in the restaurant and cooks asparagus!
I remembered visiting his house when I was young, it was like a castle to me, it is so huge that till today I still wonder, was it because I was small and tiny that I find the room too big or was it really that big.It was a great comparison to where he lives now, an old rented apartment, that he does not fit in, it breaks my heart to see him in this state, but he looks contented in that tiny place of his, I guessed he has had the best once upon a time, and now all else does not matter anymore.
However, I wish that one day I can bring him to dinner for caviar and gooseliver, like he once gave me the best.

No comments: